Poker and drinks! If you find yourself exhausted after a very tiring week, this is the pair that you want to accompany you on a Friday night.
At least, that is what my friends and I thought. After a week of grueling cricket training, we planned to spend our Friday night playing poker and drowning ourselves in our favourite drink.
One night of poker and drinks
Instead of driving out to a casino, we decided to go to a friends house to set up a poker table and spend the whole night playing. There were 5 of us so we split into teams to set up everything. My friend headed to his home first to set up his house because that was where we will be staying. It was perfect because he is a poker enthusiast and he had all the equipment that we need. Apparently, it was not the first time he has hosted a poker night.
The truth is, I am not really that big on gambling but I have played online poker before. As you know, I am a website developer and I had a project involving an online casino. I did not build it from the ground up. I was asked to make some changes. But what I saw got me interested in playing online games – specifically poker. When I’m bored, I find myself playing every now and then.
Which is why I knew that the night of poker and drinks will be epic. I did not plan on backing down without a fight and I intended to win big!
Well, I did not really lose a lot of money but unfortunately, I did not come out as the winner. One thing is for sure, it was a very fun night for all of us. We got to relax, play poker, and talk while drinking. It was a great way to end the week full of activities. Obviously, it was a lot better for my friend who won most of the money that night.
Tips when playing poker at home
If you are thinking of something to do with your family and friends, a poker and drinks night is probably one of the best options that you will have. However, you need to make sure that you do it the right way. Here are some tips that I think you will find useful as you organise this night.
- Make sure everyone is acquainted with the basics of playing poker.
- Assign only one person to handle the buying in and cash outs. The same person can take care of rebuys too. This will limit any misunderstanding when it comes to the money handling. This will also make sure that the cash out at the end of the night will balance out.
- Limit the denominations on the chips. This will simplify things and avoid confusion.
- Prepare two decks of cards. That way, no game will be forced to stop as the deck of cards are shuffled.
- Set the buy-ins and make it simple. Try to have 100 big blinds – regardless of the level that you are playing. Feel free to discuss this with your friends so everyone is comfortable with the amount. Affordability might be an issue.
- Encourage everyone to be vocal about their actions – whether it is folding, calling or raising the bet.
- For the food and drinks – keep it simple. Get something that everyone will enjoy. And avoid getting oily food. You do not want oily fingers handling the cards.
Consider all of these tips if you want to have a successful poker and drinks night.